SB Nation Kansas City
Stay connected for news and updates Follow @sbnkansascity
Like us to subscribe
Kansas City Royals catcher Salvador Perez is ahead of schedule in recovery from the knee surgery he had in Spring Training this season. Originally, Perez was expected to be out until the All-Star Game in Kansas City on July 10, but the teams says he could return as early as late June.
Perez is likely to leave for the Royals' camp at Surprise, Ariz., next week, maybe as soon as Monday.
"He's two weeks ahead of schedule," manager NedYost said. "He's going to go to Arizona and get in a Spring Training mode and be there two weeks or so. Then move to a Double-A or Triple-A team."
The 22-year-old Perez was signed to a five-year contract through the 2016 season worth a guaranteed $7 million. Due to his injury, though, the Royals made the move of adding depth at catcher when they traded for Humberto Quintero from the Houston Astros.
For a more in-depth look at the Kansas City Royals, check Royals Review.
With the injury to Salvador Perez leaving the Royals thin at catcher, Dayton Moore struck a deal late Tuesday afternoon when the Royals sent left-handed prospect Kevin Chapman to the Houston Astros for Humberto Quintero and Jason Bourgeois. Kansas City will also be including a player to be named later in the deal.
When I first read of this move on my phone and saw the name Kevin Chapman, I was shocked. Kansas City seemed pretty high on the fourth-round selection in 2010 out of the University of Florida, and with good reason. Chapman had struck out 90 batters in 62 inning pitched during his two minor league seasons, ending last year with AA Northwest Arkansas.
Though Chapman has control issues at times, he showed the ability thus far of being an eventual quality left-handed set-up man at the major league level.
The Royals didn't pick up Quintero with the intentions of him hitting well, because you he won't. The 32-year old is instead known for his defense, which includes a career of throwing out 32% of would be base stealers. The league average over his nine big league seasons is 28%.
He was brought in to give a veteran presence behind the plate and do his job of blocking balls in the dirt while helping call a solid game. This is something he has been known to do well.
The move for Bourgeois strikes me as odd as the Royals already had Mitch Maier and Jarrod Dyson in the outfield. The 30-year old was a former second round pick of the Texas Rangers in 2000 and has bounced around with several organizations, seeing time at the major league level with the Chicago White Sox and Milwaukee Brewers for one season each, before taking part in 162 games over the last two season with the Astros.
Bourgeois's career season was last year when he batted .294/.323/.357 with a home run and 16 RBI in 93 games. He also stole 31 bases in 37 attempts while patrolling centerfield for Houston.
This reminds me a lot of one of Dayton Moore's first trades, sending reliever J.P. Howell to the Tampa Bay Rays for Joey Gathright. Gathright was the speedster while Howell was a young reliever. That trade didn't work out so well for Kansas City in retrospect.
What was the need for Bourgeois, and importantly why did the Royals insist on bringing him in, if they had to include Chapman to get him? One would think the Royals could have received Quintero for mostly money or a non-prospect, much like when the Royals picked up Matt Treanor from the Rangers at the end of spring training last season.
Obviously this was a depth move, but at what cost? Chapman seemed like a lot to give up, which leaves me nervous to know who the player to be named later may be.
We'll have more on this trade in coming days, but make sure to head on over to Royals Review for more reaction to the latest move.
According to FOX Sports Kansas City's Joel Goldberg, the Kansas City Royals have made a trade for Astros catcher Humberto Quintero as well as outfielder Jason Bourgeois, giving up minor league left-handed pitcher Kevin Chapman and a player to be named later.
Joel GoldbergRoyals acquire C Humberto Quintero & OF Jason Bourgeois from Astros for minor league LHP Kevin Chapman & player to be named 11 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone · Reply · Retweet · Favorite · powered by @socialditto
The move was undoubtedly made to give the Royals another option at catcher while Salvador Perez battles a knee injury. Quintero has been in the league since 2003, spending his first two seasons with the San Diego Padres and the last seven with the Astros. Last year he played in 79 games, had 63 hits and scored 22 runs and had a .240 batting average. Behind the plate he caught in 642 full innings, had three past balls, caught 14 players stealing and had five errors.
Bourgeois, who will be entering his fifth year in the league, played in 93 games for the Astros in 2011 and had a 70 hits for 30 runs and had a batting average of .294.
As the Kansas City Royals continue to look for answers in the wake of Salvador Perez’s knee injury and rehab, the primary name to surface is Ivan Rodriguez, although nothing is official on either side with Pudge. Now another name is surfacing from MLB.com’s Dick Kaegel who says the Royals have been checking in on the Astros catching situation as to Humberto Quintero’s availability.
Kaegel writes, “Quintero, 32, is in his eighth year with the Astros and is signed to a one-year contract for $1 million. However, the Astros have Jason Castro slated to start, and Quintero is competing with Chris Snyder for the backup job. Snyder has had a good camp and Quintero, because of his back problem, has to play catch-up. The Astros also recently signed catcher Landon Powell.”
Quintero hit .240 last season with 2 home runs and 25 RBI. He has spent the last seven seasons with the Astros organization.
Kansas City is in the market for a veteran catcher after starter Sal Perez suffered a knee injury that required surgery. Perez will be sidelined for about three months and will miss opening day. Brayan Pena will assume the starting position but the Royals have been looking for a veteran presence to pair with Pena.
Whether or not the Royals made an offer to Rodriguez and were rejected or simply decided not to make an offer is unknown. Rodriguez suffered through an injury plagued 2011 season with the Washington Nationals.
The Kansas City Royals have made an offer to Ivan Rodriguez to bring the veteran catcher into camp. With Salvador Perez sidelined for the next 12-14 weeks while he recovers from knee surgery, the Royals suddenly have a need for a veteran catcher. Rodriguez has yet to respond to Kansas City's offer.
Rodriguez is 40 years old and played in only 44 games for the Washington Nationals last season. He has reportedly stayed in shape and is interested in latching on with another team. Rodriguez has 2,844 hits and is looking to become the first catcher to amass 3,000 hits in his career. He'd probably need to play a couple of more seasons to reach that accomplishment.
With Perez sidelined, Brayan Pena takes over as the Royals starter behind the plate.
One of the rarest of finds within a team’s roster in Major League Baseball is catching depth. Few teams have ever boasted having too many catchers on hand, and many teams today don’t even have one solid option, let alone several to choose from. The Royals have one of the best young catchers in the game in Salvador Perez, but Bob Dutton reports the Royals have had a hard time finding help after Perez’s recent injury.
Perez is out for the next several weeks due to torn cartilage in his knee. This comes after Perez signed a recent extension to keep him the Royals catcher here for the next five seasons at least. Now the team must turn to Brayan Pena but still need someone beyond that.
“There’s not another Sal out there that you can get,” Yost told the Star. “There’s just not. The next-best thing is probably some semblance of a catch-and-throw guy who can hit a little bit, but that guy is going to cost you a young prospect. We don’t want to do that.
“So you either get a guy who can hit like a son-of-a-gun and can’t catch, or a guy who can catch like a son-of-a-gun who you hope can at least be a good situational-type hitter who mixes in a few hits. I’d rather go that route.”
Dutton reports the team is looking at other options and includes some familiar names on that list — from Ivan Rodriguez to Wil Nieves. Nothing is going to inspire too much except for hearing reports that Perez is returning. For now the Royals’ best option is to hold the fort until he can return.
The Kansas City Royals took a big hit to their youthful exuberance early in 2012 with the announcement yesterday that Salvador Perez was going to have surgery after tearing cartilage in his knee. He should be on the shelf for several weeks, which means the Royals will open the season with their back-up catcher running the show. Brayan Pena says he's sad for Perez, but ready for the sake of the team.
"I knew from the beginning that this was his team, and I was ready to back him up," Pena said. "It's unfortunate that this injury happened, but me personally, I'm ready. I feel I know these guys on our pitching staff. I've been working with them the last couple of years, and I feel right now that we're going to be very good. With our bullpen and [Bruce] Chen, [Luke] Hochevar and [Jonathan] Sanchez, I think we're going to be good and we'll try to hold on until the big man comes back."
Dayton Moore, the team's general manager also spoke highly, not only of Perez as he was injured but of Pena as he takes over the regular catcher duties.
"Brayan Pena has emerged as someone who is better than just a backup. He gives you good at-bats and a lot of energy. We felt we had a real good catching tandem with Salvy and Brayan as it was," Moore said. "Right now Brayan Pena is the guy, but we need to come up with somebody to go with him."
Perez's timetable for return is currently unknown.
"I'm in a lot of pain. I'm disappointed because this was my first year (to be in the majors on opening day). I was really motivated. It's very painful but, hopefully, I can bounce back and I'll be fine."
Perez will have surgery in the next few days and will miss opening day on April 6. In Perez's absence, the regular catching duties will fall on Brayan Pena. The injury will also force Kansas City to look for another catcher to add to the 40-man roster.
Perez made his big league debut in August of last season and hit .331 with three homers and 31 RBIs in 39 games.