The Kansas City Royals have announced their minor league award winners for the month of August, with infielder Irving Falu and starting pitcher Ryan Verdugo taking home player of the month honors at the highest non-MLB level.
Falu, 29, hit .341, posted a .383 on-base percentage and slugged .477 in the month, notching 12 extra-base hits in August for Triple-A Omaha. For the season, he finished with a .329/.375/.463 line, while racking up 32 extra-base hits and driving in 50 runs.
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old Verdugo went 5-1 with a 3.09 ERA during the month, while striking out 31 batters in 35 innings. Verdugo was 12-4 with 3.75 ERA with Omaha in 2012, striking out 118 batters and walking 67 in 136.2 innings pitched.
Here are the rest of the award winners for August:
• Northwest Arkansas (Double-A) -- Outfielder Yem Prades, right-hander Ethan Hollingsworth.
• Wilmington (High Class A) -- Infielder Orlando Calixte, right-hander Andy Ferguson.
• Kane County (Class A) -- Infielder Justin Trapp, right-hander Cody Fassold.
• Idaho Falls (Rookie) -- Infielder Diego Goris, right-hander Cory Hall.
• Burlington (Rookie) -- Infielder Mark Threlkeld, right-hander Christian Binford.
• Surprise (Rookie) -- Infielder Ramon Torres, right-hander Ashton Goudeau.
• Dominican (Rookie) -- Infielder Wander Franco, right-hander Andres Machado.
For more on the Royals, be sure to visit Royals Review. And, for additional coverage on prospects all around baseball, check out John Sickels' Minor League Ball.